When you leave your home or apartment what steps do you take to safeguard your property and belongings? Regardless of whether you are on a trip for pleasure or business, long or short term, there are things you need to do so you don’t return to extensive damage, theft, vandalism or any other issues.
Most important is to make your home appear that it is occupied. Make your home a hard target against vandalism or theft and safeguard against mechanical or weather related mishaps. Take a look at the suggestions below:
- Use timers for lights and TV/Radio
- Adjust heat or cooling system properly
- Check on pool filter – sprinkler system
- Check and secure all doors and windows – deadbolts and sash locks engaged
- Shut down computer or networks
- Draw and close Curtains or blinds
- Stop mail, newspapers and package deliveries or have them collected by someone you trust.
- Ask a neighbor to park their car in your driveway
- Have neighbor or friend check on your home while you are away.
- Use discretion with who you tell about absence – social media – public – workplace
- Look at extended weather forecast – what impact it may have on home while away
- Make sure cameras are working
- Install decoy camera
- Place alarm stickers on windows
- Put a dog dish and or lead outside of home – regardless if you have a dog or not
- Large pair of work boots outside of home on doorstep.
- Leave a key in good hiding place or with trusted friend
- Take caution and careful consideration in who has a key or code to enter your home
- Change routines(service times) of contractors and home help & maintenance
- Make short notice of absence 1 or 2 days to contractors or home helpers, landlord/supers.
In these times, you may even have your home wired as a smart home with cameras and smart device notification with off-site controls. Yet nothing beats a trained eye to make sure everything is as it should be.
Introducing, CASTLE WATCH our home watch protection program. CASTLE WATCH provides security personnel and retired police officers to check on your home while you are on vacation or away on business. We truly bring you Peace of Mind.